Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Update on Danby Washer and Dryer

It's been 3 days and 5 loads of laundry (I've been washing EVERYTHING to see how it works) since we got our new Danby washer and dryer. To review, it is Energy Star rated, front loading, and small; the old set was top loading and huge.

Here's why I am in LOVE with my new washer and dryer:

Our washer drains into the same pipe as the sink; for some reason (faulty plumbing, I would assume), the water drained out of the old washer had always backed up into the sink as it drained, as there is too much water to go down at once. It would fill the sink up most of the way in overflow drainage... and it would do this 3 times during a cycle.

The NEW washer does NOT fill up the sink at all! It does not drain enough water at once to overload the drain... and it still drains those three times. I ran over to the sink to check during the first 3 loads.

That is a LOT of water saved each time we run the washer!

Plus, the spin cycle on the washer (we have it set to 1000 rpm) pulls a LOT of water out of the clothes, so the drying time isn't as long. I was used to drying clothes for more than an hour in the old dryer. Now, it takes about 30 minutes.

That is a LOT of electricity saved each time we run the dryer!

Finally, I use 1/2 TBSP of laundry detergent for every load in the new machine. I used to put in 3/4 cup of detergent to get my clothes clean in the old top loader.

That is a LOT of detergent saved each time we wash our clothes!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! We will definitely look into this when we look at replacing ours. Wish I could snag the same bargain you did!

Anonymous said...

It's interesting you should mention RPM during the spin cycle. This is such an important part of a washing machine but few deliver. I can remember going to the laundromat during my childhood. My mom always insisted on using the very powerful extractors prior to drying because they cut drying time in half. I'd like to have an extractor now!

Anonymous said...

We bought a small front loading maytag and a matching dryer a few months ago. They are small enough so that when we remodel our kitchen, we'll be able to put them under the counters. It's just amazing how the energy efficient ones work so much better than the previous one we had which was a stacked one. I'm glad you're enjoying your new w/d!

Jill -Forever and Ever House said...

Yeah!!!! Congrats on your new addition! I know that this would be a super big deal at my house!! LOL!! I have a friend that got one of these washers/dryers. Her husband and her actually had fun doing the laundry and would (jokingly) argue about whose turn it was to "change the load"!! I am sure that this didn't last that long but still! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

HI there! I had the Danby washer and dryer for 3 years at my old condo and they performed great every time. Now, in my new (but old) house, I'm looking for a Danby again. You won't be sorry! Cheers.

Anonymous said...

When we had ours and it did the 1000rpm spin it rocked my WHOLE house. I didn't like the feel. No thanks.......

Anonymous said...

when spinning it shook the whole house....