Friday, January 11, 2008

The Garage- A Fairy Tale

Once upon a time there was a nice 1 car garage. It lived a happy existence until a young couple moved in with all of their junk. The young couple filled it to the top with old clothes, moving boxes, bikes, scrap wood, and old doors.

One day the young couple cleaned out the entire garage and had a garage sale and freecycle event. The garage sighed a big sigh of relief. There was even room to park a CAR in there now!

Unfortunately, the young couple did NOT think far enough in the future and did not take the time to build storage or organize the garage and it's remaining inhabitants. Slowly, slowly the junk returned...
Photobucket
... including 900 feet of flooring, 6 doors, 5 chairs, a swamp cooler, backpacking supplies, a sheet of DRYWALL, and MORE!

The garage was sad. Nobody came to visit anymore, since they couldn't even get in the door!

Then, one day the young woman decided to install a door jamb, door, and trim. She wanted to use the new miter saw that they had gotten for Christmas, but there was nowhere to set it up and nothing to bolt it to... except the workbench at the back of the garage.

She made a valiant effort to dislodge some of the clutter...

Photobucket

and succeeded in finding homes for all of the garden and yard tools! She screwed some shelves up with old brackets and boards, screwed an old kitchen cabinet into the wall, and nailed rows of nails into the studs to hold shovels and rakes.

The garage breathed a small sigh of relief. At least a person could walk into it now!

Will the garage live happily ever after, or will the clutter seek vengeance upon the empty and organized space and swallow it whole? Stay tuned...

(Cost: $0 Materials: Used brackets, wood, nails, etc)

9 comments:

Sandy said...

Such a lovely fairy tale! I think the garage will live almost happily ever after!

min hus said...

Very creative tale. And great progress on your garage!

I'm jealous. I used to be able to park in my garage and get to all my tools...before my boyfriend moved in.

Now it looks like your before pic. Poor garage :(

Jen said...

Yeah!!! Our basement is a WRECK and I cleaned it last and Chris cluttered it back up. It feels so good when things are in order.....:)

Chile said...

Aw, I just love a happy ending.

Anonymous said...

I'm very inspired by your undertaking. Our poor little garage is suffering as well and I've got a good ol' garage purging / organizing on my list for the summer.

I just have to wait for it to get warmer and for some family members to remove furniture we're storing for them.

Wish us luck!

Anonymous said...

Nice! But I won't let my barn see this story. The barn might collapse in protest.

Anonymous said...

This happens to me all of the time. No matter how many shelves I have or how many times a year I reorganize the garage... a month later I can no longer open the door.

Karen Kirkpatrick said...

Loved the fairy tale. My garage didn't believe it when I read it aloud! Claims it could never happen!

Thanks for the idea about the roll-across screens on our bedroom door. I looked at those for our front doors, but hadn't thought about it for keeping cats out!

pedalpower said...

It sounds like our garage. As soon as it warms up a little I'm going to have to tackle it.