Monday, September 8, 2008

Furnace Filter Update

I am sure you have all been dying to hear about our furnace filter adventures...

Here's our furnace filter before:
Photobucket
Notice how it was definitely not sealing anything. I'm also not convinced anymore that it is actually a hammock filter furnace, despite the sticker on the exterior... but I can't figure out what else would work.

I removed the old filter, vacuumed out the excessive dust accumulated in the blower compartment, and then rigged up this:
Photobucket
Thanks to Muskego Jeff and Robj98168 for their advice!

I'll still probably have an HVAC person come out and take a look when we next have $50, but it will certainly work better than the previous filter. Here's to a (more) dust-free winter.

SPECIAL BONUS FURNACE:
It's time now for your special bonus furnace question! My sister has a Chrysler Airtemp 4208-04BD furnace that she has been struggling to fit a filter into. Last year she used a 16x20 that she jammed into the front bracket and held in place with a brick. There was still a good sized gap. According to her, there is some sort of bracket at the front and a not quite matching one that you can kind of see in the photo at the back.
Photobucket

Now THAT'S an old furnace. My initial reaction is that it is a smaller than 1 inch slab filter. Find a 1/2 or 3/4 inch filter to the exact size of the opening between the brackets, and slide it in. Hard to tell from pictures, though. Anyone have this furnace or have thoughts?

5 comments:

Robj98168 said...

PS to my original suggestion!
THe only thing different is Brad the hvac suggested to use masking tape (blue painters kind) not duct tape as duct tape can melt. But it looks cool!

Jennifer said...

Robj98168~ Good call; I wouldn't have thought about that... we actually didn't tape it at all because we couldn't figure out how to tape it. The vent pipe in front of the furnace cavity in the pictures is NOT movable, so the filter had to be constructed inside the furnace. We jammed it up there, and there seems to be no cracks... crossing fingers. I'm way to uncoordinated to use tape in confined spaces!

Derek said...

You could use the aluminum duct tape (the real duct tape), I think it's rated up to 600 degrees f. It would be difficult to tape in there, and having to redo it every couple of months.

Barb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barb said...

New filters look cool Jen!
I used the wrong term in my last post. The burner needs to burn clean; the bonnet or heat exchanger needs to be intact.
:-D
You mentioned some insulating curtains. Don't know if you remember the ones I made. I got quilted panels from the fabric store. Not much of a color selection but you may be able to find something. I cut them wide enough to cover the window plus a 1/2" on each side (mine have since shrunk a touch, so you may want to leave 3/4" on the sides). Measure how high you need the material plus enough for a fold over for the pocket a spring rod will fit through AND a about 1 1/2" on the bottom. All edges I finished off with bias tape. After you mount that spring rod in the top of the window frame I also use a rod for the bottom to hold it snug to the sill--it's not in a pocket just sits over the material. I did end up adding a couple of hooks n eyes to lift the lower corners so I could open the windows on the warm days. I'll do a quick drawing and email to you.
I'd entertained ideas of using velcro and other attaching methods but was very reluctant to glue, nail, or otherwise use anything permanent on the sills.
Made five 72" x 2' panels (because of existing blinds I only covered 2/3 of the window) for $40 six years ago.
Much Love
Barb