Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Little Box of Memories (A Christmas Preview)

This is my box of Christmas memories- past, present, and future. A satin Hallmark ornament from a first Christmas at 2 months old. A three year old's thumbprint mouse on a canning lid. A painstakingly painted ceramic donkey, with brushstrokes as steady as a seven year old can manage. Reindeer, angles, Santas, bells... and so much more.

Photobucket

It was started by my mother, who carefully saved every ornament I made, and contributed a new one every year. Each ornament is marked by the year. I can remember placing each one for the first time on the tree, carefully choosing a spot on Christmas Eve or Day. These days, both my husband and I add to the box with ornament gifts from students and each other. The box is full of love.

This box starts every Christmas season for me. In a week, we will make steaming mugs of hot chocolate, and carefully unwrap each treasured ornament. We'll reminisce about each ornament as we place it on our tree with a strand of white lights. Then we will flip the switch, sit in the glow of the twinkling tree, and celebrate the love and memories of the Christmas season.

No comments: