Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Gift from a Colleague

At a recent rehearsal at a fellow musician's house, I found myself admiring the doorknobs and plates in his 50's style split level. They were all different types and vintages... Victorian, Art Deco, etc. Upon inquiring, I learned that they came from some of the 90 old houses torn down by the town's hospital during expansion over the years. He works with the maintenance department, and so was part of the demo. He saved all of the lighting and hardware that he could, and used much of it in his house.

He offered me the remaining doorplates and knobs, as every door in his house had a new old knob and plate.
Photobucket
I'm excited... there are enough plates to do all of the doors in our house! And, the brass knobs coupled with the black jet clay knobs I have should finish our doorknobs out, too!

It looks like I will be spending some time with a crock pot removing the paint; otherwise, they seem in excellent condition. Character is re-entering our house!

8 comments:

Larry said...

Now that's a cool gift!

BTW - You've been tagged!

http://simpsonsfolly.blogspot.com/2008/11/tagged.html

Robj98168 said...

How cool is that? Great gift!

Jayne said...

What a great gift!

Nathan said...

Awesome! Make sure to give us before and afters when you get them all polished up!

Pat said...

How do you remove paint in your crockpot? Sorry if you have covered this before. I have some old door knobs and am going to attempt to remove the layers of paint. New to your site, love your Tiny Old House!

goddessof4 said...

Wow those are so cool!!!! Great gift!!!!!! I can't wait to see them in your house!!!! Sara

Why S? said...

You have some excellent salvage karma!

Anonymous said...

I like your line: Character is re-entering [your} house. How nicely said. I feel the same way. What possessed some of these people to scrap such fine details in these old homes? My husband tells me to stop asking "why" or else I will never get anything done!