Monday, October 13, 2008

Finishing Our New Window- Inside

I've been working on the new window in my study. First, I needed to add wood to extend the window frame to the drywall. Theoretically, this involves a table saw to rip trim down to the exact dimensions of the gap. We don't own a table saw. Luckily, my local big box hardware store carries 1/2"x 3/4" trim... just perfect for what I needed to do.

Here's the window with it's new frame extensions... they are the unpainted wood:
Photobucket
And, a close up:
Photobucket

I attached the wood strips with finishing nails flush with the drywall. Well, I TRIED to install the wood strips flush with the drywall:
Photobucket

Unfortunately, the drywall bows out considerably in both lower corners. The window is plumb and level, and 80% of the drywall is right where it should be. These corners are about 1/2" off. Any suggestions for how to install the window trim so it looks right? I'm thinking I might have to cut out the offending drywall, level behind it, and replace.


After I added the frame extensions, I went over the nailing fins with drywall compound to bring those areas flush with the drywall. When we installed the new construction window, we decided to use the nailing fins and simply cut out chunks of drywall, as the holes and patches would eventually be covered by window trim:
Photobucket

Here's the window as it looks now... after the drywall compound dries I'll caulk around the window again and call it done!
Photobucket

6 comments:

Robj98168 said...

Nice job on the window! Lots of fun installing new windows!

Jayne said...

Good job on the window. Yeah...I agree with you that you might have to cut out the part of the drywall that's bowed out.

And my progress on the Stop the Leaks front: I covered the kitchen window and the bathroom window with plastic to seal out drafts, and next days off I'll do the rest of my windows, too.

Just A Girl And Her Craftsman Bungalow said...

inspiring

Heather said...

Not sure what to do about the drywall.. good luck! Block of wood over it and gently try to compact the corner back into place with hammering?

Never replaced a window before that this has been very interesting to watch you complete.

StuccoHouse said...

Personally, I'd pull out the drywall and get it back in there straight. Pain now, but I think in the long run it would look better :-) I like the bigger window...lot's more light, huh?

Anonymous said...

I was a trim capenter for several years so you have some options. I ran across this problem a lot wen I was trimming out windows. Straightening out the drywall can be a pain, so I would just bust out the offending drywall. The end result should look just fine. Suggestion: mark some lines to show how fow the window trim will cover so you know where to stop hammering.